Serving Suggestions: Salad, Mexican Rice, or Black Beans
Source: Cooking Light
Note: I'm going to switch out the chicken for ground pork.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 (8-ounce) bone-in chicken thighs, skinned
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 9 (6-inch) corn tortillas, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan; sauté 6 minutes on each side. Place skillet in oven; bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until done. Remove chicken from pan; let stand 15 minutes. Remove meat from bones; shred. Discard bones. Place chicken in a medium bowl; stir in cream cheese, 2 tablespoons cilantro, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan, and swirl to coat. Add onion, and sauté for 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; sauté for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Remove 3 tablespoons onion mixture; add to chicken. Add chili powder, red pepper, and cumin to remaining onion mixture in pan; sauté 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in chicken broth, 3/4 cup water, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Tear 1 tortilla into small pieces; add to tomato mixture. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes. Carefully pour tomato mixture into a blender, and process until smooth.
- Spread 1/2 cup tomato mixture in the bottom of an 11 x 7–inch glass or ceramic baking dish lightly coated with cooking spray. Warm remaining 8 tortillas according to package directions. Spoon about 1/4 cup chicken mixture down center of each tortilla; roll up. Place seam-side down in prepared dish. Pour remaining tomato mixture over filled tortillas. Sprinkle filled tortillas with cheddar cheese. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until bubbly and lightly browned. Sprinkle with green onions.