Preparation Time: 20 minutes, Start to finish: 35 minutes
Serving Ideas: roasted carrots
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 tsp. Cajun seasonings, divided
- 4 bone-in center cut pork chops, about 1 inch thick
- 4 slices Sargento® Deli Style Sliced Gouda Cheese
- 1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- Heat oil and butter in a 12-inch ovenproof skillet (wrap handle in foil) over medium-high heat. Separate onion slices into rings; add to skillet. Cover; cook 3 minutes or until onions are wilted and beginnning to brown. Reduce heat, stir onions; cook uncovered 10 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring frequently. Stir 1/4 tsp. of the Cajun seasonings into the onion; transfer to a small bowl and cool at least 5 minutes. (Do not wash skillet.)
- Cut a horizontal pocket in the side of each pork chop (or ask your meat retailer to do this for you). Spoon 1 Tbsp. of the onion onto center of each slice of cheese. Fold cheese over onion; stuff in pocket of pork chop and pinch edges together to close pockets. Sprinkle remaining 1 tsp. Cajun seasonings and oregano over chops.
- Place same skillet over medium-high heat. Add chops; cook 3 minutes per side or until browned. Spoon remaining onion over chops. Transfer skillet to a preheated 375°F oven. Bake until chops are no longer pink in center, 8 to 10 minutes depending on thickness of chops. Drizzle any juices from skillet over chops.