Serving Ideas: This dish is delicious with the addition of grilled chicken breasts, cut into thin strips.
Source: National Pasta Association, http://ilovepasta.org/
1 pound Orzo, Ditalini, or other small pasta shape, uncooked
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 large red bell peppers, cored, seeded and cut into wide strips
1 large red onion, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rings
3 medium tomatoes, very ripe
1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
1/2 cup lime juice
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup low-fat sour cream OR 1/4 cup low-fat guacamole
1. Prepare pasta according to package directions; drain.
2. Brush the red pepper strips and onion rings lightly with the vegetable oil. Over medium-hot coals, grill the vegetables until they are very soft, about 8 to 9 minutes.
3. Mince the tomatoes and put them in a large bowl. Stir in the scallions, jalapeños, lime juice and salt.
4. When the peppers and onions are ready, transfer them from the grill to a cutting board. Cut them into very thin strips and add to the salsa with the pasta. Toss well.
5. Divide the pasta among four bowls and top each with a spoonful of sour cream.